Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Line vs. Pattern


Line vs. Pattern

The most basic elements of a quilt are color, value, shape, pattern and line. In these mini quilts I am exploring the areas where they complement each other and where they compete. These postcard size quilts are made from scraps of the gelatin printed fabrics that I used in my last set of quilts. I often find it useful to create problems in miniature to avoid the necessity of ripping a larger quilt apart.

I chose a background and then collaged shapes on top. Then I wanted to see How the stitching on top would either enhance or obscure the design. In the one in the middle the thread acted mostly as pattern embellishing the shapes. In the one on the right line and pattern fought with neither winning. Too much was going on. The one on the right produced a happy marriage of line and pattern. These are things I will contemplate when I work on my piece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment