Sunday, March 18, 2018

Awkward Dimensions

Last week I printed on some fat quarters with my Gelli plate and pine boughs. I thought I would try out some ideas, but I found I was having a really hard time wrapping my head around the required dimensions. It is proportionally narrower than I am used to working. Generally, I start with one shape and let things evolve around it. The dimensions grow as I add to the original piece. I was worrying too much about dimensions as I put pieces next to each other.

I decided I needed to cut a piece of fabric to the dimensions of the final piece. That way the piece can grow with constraints, but without the need of a ruler permanently in my sewing hand. I am going to look at the shape on my design wall to internalize it. Maybe I will end up printing on this fabric or maybe I will just pin my printed fabrics to it.


The shape is awkward to divide. I think same size blocks would look strange, but also boring and predictable. A division into top and bottom with some element diagonally connecting the two halves could work, but maybe too symmetrical. It could become a positive/negative sort of contrast. Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment